Almost every Wednesday groups of people meet at 1 and 6 pm at Trinity ELC to answer the question: “What is a Christian disciple?” We do that by listening to God’s Word together; discussing how we might be a disciple where God has called us to be and of course, in prayer.
We live as a church and as disciples of Christ with the very mission Christ has given:
“Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” ~ Matthew 28:19-20
So what is a Christian disciple?
A disciple is one follows Jesus. . .in order to become like him through baptism into his life, death and resurrection and by listening to Christ’s words; . . . so that he/she can participate with Jesus on His mission in our day to day lives. . . to show others how to do the same. A disciple does this within a community of other disciples – part of Christ’s body, the church.
Key elements to a disciple’s life:
- Is baptized and belongs to a visible Christian community
- Worships weekly to be fed on God’s Word and Sacraments
- Participates in a smaller group that studies God’s Word, prays together and supports one another in Christian discipleship
- Stays focused on who s/he is in Christ and on the mission
- Practices daily devotions
- Lives out one’s vocation (calling) within one’s church, family, workplace and community in service and witness to the neighbour