I’m a Saskatchewan Roughrider fan, but even for me Rider Pride can sometimes go a bit too far. Still, who wouldn’t want the Riders in the Grey Cup…except maybe Calgary.
It’s great to be part of a winning team or to have the biggest and best of almost anything. How many of us long to be the smartest or best looking, the one with the hottest car or the most successful business, even the kid who has the best chance to make the NHL? And if I’m honest, I would love to even have the biggest church in Ponoka.
When these things do come about we’re often proud of our success or even just to be part of the success of others. Pride can seem like such a positive attribute at times like these.
So why then does the writer of Proverbs (16:18) record: Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall?
Take a look at Luke 18:9-14 to reflect on some possible answers to that question.
This week we explore God’s dream and the pride which deflects the spotlight from God’s dream to our dreams and our attempts to make ourselves worthy.
– Pastor Tim
At Trinity ELC we offer the following opportunities to learn, be encouraged and to live out God’s dream in your life, alongside your brothers and sisters in Christ and with those God loves through Christ:
- Tuesday (Oct.22): Equipped for Ministry (7 pm) – Learning to be a missionary
- Wednesday (Oct.23): Share a meal with some of Jesus’ people at the Rising Sun Clubhouse and live God’s dream (12 pm)
- Wednesday (Oct.23): Men’s Bible Study (Luke 18:9-14)
- Wednesday (Oct.23): Confirmation (4 pm) – Study on Luke 18:9-14
- Wednesday (Oct. 23): Living the Faith…God’s Dream: How do we stay the course in our Christian life? and Faithfully addressing injustice…Stories
- Thursday (Oct. 24): Praying for God’s dream and injustices (1:30 pm)
- Thursday (Oct.24): Confirmation (4 pm) – Study on Luke 18:9-14
- Thursday (Oct.24): Learning the Faith (7 pm) – Bible Study on Luke 18:9-14
- Sunday (Oct.27): Worship (10:30 am) – God’s Dream – opposed by pride!
- Tuesday (Oct.29)…NCD Leadership Team (7 pm)
- Wednesday (Oct.30): Living the Faith (7 pm) – Walking humbly with our God
- Thursday (Oct.31): Praying for humility (1:30 pm)