I had been serving a congregation for about one year when the chairperson of the Council phoned and asked for my immediate resignation. The request had nothing to do with anything I had done wrong: morally, spiritually, biblically or theologically. They just felt I wasn’t the “right” person to lead them.
So the “pink slip” was given and I packed up my office and was gone.
For the next few months I enjoyed the time off. It was like having a paid sabbatical. By the third month though, I began to seriously reflect on where I had been and where I was going.
Times of crisis often lead people to do an “accounting” of their lives. However, just because life is going smoothly doesn’t mean that we’re somehow on the right track or being good stewards of our lives.
Last week we focused on the “lost and found.” We’re all lost without God (sometimes even inside the church building) and it is only by God’s grace through Christ that we are found. Yes, we are found in order that we might participate in God’s mission of finding others who are lost.
To be on that mission requires that we make use of the resources God has given us for that purpose. So how are you and we together using those resources? What kind of stewards are we as individuals and as a Christian community? Are we being faithful with what God has blessed us with?
These are the accountability questions God asks of us this week and the following opportunities are offered that we might become wise and faithful servants of our Lord:
- Tuesday (Sept.17): Council – Who are the lost we are accountable for?
- Wednesday (Sept.18): Lunch with some of Jesus’ people at the Rising Sun Clubhouse (12 pm)
- Wednesday (Sept.18): Confirmation (4 pm) – Study on Luke 16:1-13 and reviewing the Ten Commandments
- Wednesday (Sept.18): Living the Faith…Connecting with the lost
- Thursday (Sept.19): Confirmation (4 pm) – Study on Luke 16:1-13 and reviewing the Ten Commandments
- Thursday (Sept.19): Learning the Faith (7 pm) – Bible Study on Luke 16:1-13
- Sunday (Sept.22): Worship/Sunday school (10:30 am) – Faithful Stewardship
- Sunday (Sept.22): Worship at Rimoka (2:30 pm)
- Tuesday (Sept.24): Ladies Harvest Dessert Night (6:30 pm)
- Wednesday (Sept.25): Living the Faith (7 pm) – Reviewing your Gifts
- Thursday (Sept.26): Praying for faithful stewardship (1:30 pm)